T.I.G.E.R. Time

Kenna Humble works on homework during T.I.G.E.R. Time.

Amy Surface, Writer

Some big changes were brought to Ozark High School this year such as T.I.G.E.R. Time which was introduced. Previously known as O-Time and Advisory, the acronym stands for tutoring, intervention, goal setting, enrichment, and readiness. Every Monday and Tuesday are enrichment days. Students will have time to relax or go to club meetings. 

“I think the best part is knowing what days the meetings will be occurring. You know it will always be on Mondays or Tuesdays as opposed to any day of the week or month,” says senior Marcus Wade.  The flexibility at the beginning of the week allows for students to still enjoy free time instead of having study time/tutoring every day. 

On Wednesdays and Thursdays, there will be mandatory tutoring for those who need it. This is a time to catch up on homework, so no cell phones will be allowed. Finally, on Fridays, classes will focus on the readiness section of the acronym. Each T.I.G.E.R. Time class is split up by different career clusters, and the teachers will help students learn about future careers or colleges for that specific path. 

Our goal this year was to emphasize each part of that acronym. By placing students with other students of like interests and with a teacher with either an expertise or interest in that career cluster, it facilitates conversations around their future education, their future career, or their future lifestyle after high school,” assistant principal Shawn Widel said. Widel also mentioned that readiness for the future has been a focus for some time, but the administration realized that there were many other aspects that needed to be included in the ‘Advisory’ time as well. This is what helped them land on the five categories that make up T.I.G.E.R. Time. 

T.I.G.E.R. Time is the third version of 2nd block that the seniors have experienced, having also participated in O-Time and Tiger Tracks. When asked about the differences between T.I.G.E.R. Time and the others, Wade said, “I feel like there is a lot more structure and communication. It is more beneficial for both students and teachers.” 

Principal Widel, along with the other administration hopes that T.I.G.E.R. Time will help students form lasting friendships and become more confident in their future.