Dance Team Transitions into New Season

Photo used with permission from Jazmynn Grounds

The Ozark Tiger Pride Dance Team prepares to perform at the football game against Neosho.

Amy Surface, Writer

Though the school year only started a month ago, the nine dancers on the Ozark Tiger Pride Dance Team have been hammering away since June. 

There are three main parts of the dance team season. Over the summer, they practice a dance at a camp which takes place in July. This year, it was July 15-18. The girls won three All-Americans and 15 blue ribbons which is the highest award. The second part of the season involves dancing during varsity football and basketball games.  

“It’s just so fun to get in front of a lot of people to dance and feel the music,” said Makenna Lewis, sophomore. 

Beginning in mid-January, the dance team begins the competition part of their season. They typically attend three competitions including State in St. Louis. In addition to a new coach, the team is implementing different choreography to improve its overall performance.

We’re doing a lot more hip hop and other types of dances that are more fun for the audience to watch, as well as more fun for us to perform. We’re really trying to revamp the team and add different dynamics and variety,” said Senior Meagan Smith, captain of the team. Along with these things, the team is taking an extra dance to competitions and ordering new pom uniforms.

During the times when the girls are not practicing, they are still spending time together and working on team bonding. Lewis and Smith both mentioned how close everyone is.

The dance team will continue to work and prepare for their upcoming events. Make sure to check them out at any home football or basketball game.