Halloween Creeps Into Ozark High School

photo via flickr under the Creative Commons license.

A group of festive jack-o’-lanterns grin as they wait patiently for trick-or-treaters.

Ashlyn Dewitt, Writer

As summer comes to an end and fall starts rolling in, you can tell just by looking at the spooky decorations lurking on houses and in stores that Halloween is right around the corner.

Students at Ozark High School are howling with excitement for the upcoming holiday. Students often visit haunted houses, carve pumpkins, bake Halloween treats, and go trick-or-treating to get in the spooky spirit. For sophomore, Chandler Thrap, Halloween is an exciting part of the year.

“My favorite thing to do on Halloween is handing out candy and watching scary movies with my friends and family. We always have a ton of fun and we like to see all the trick-or-treaters in their costumes,” said Thrap. 

Wearing costumes on Halloween is a well-known tradition. This started back in the eighth century with the Celtic holiday of Samhain. People started wearing costumes to scare off evil spirits on the last night in October. Today, people still wear costumes, but not for getting rid of ghosts. Now, people enjoy dressing up as their favorite characters and wandering the streets on the only night it’s okay to take candy from strangers.

“My favorite costume that I’ve ever worn was when I dressed up as an emoji with my friend,” said junior, Riley Rhodus.

Halloween only comes once a year and OHS students make the most of it.

“Halloween as a kid was always going to Party City and picking out the best costume I could find, usually a cat or some kind of animal, and going trick-or-treating,” said junior, Annabel Gentry. Halloween marks the end of sunny summer days and the beginning of the most wonderful time of the year.

Junior, Riley Rhodus poses with her friend on Halloween.
Annabel Gentry smiles in her Halloween costume as a child.
“When I was a kid, I used to go trick-or-treating with my cousins every year for Halloween,” said Ryley Renfrow, senior.