Fogging Our Minds

These small devices are responsible for hundreds of students lives and health changes. Senior Noah Sutton said,

Photo via Health.mil under the Creative Commons License

These small devices are responsible for hundreds of students lives and health changes. Senior Noah Sutton said, “Students don’t realize the effects of vaping until it is too late.”

Katie Wells, Writer

Teenagers already have so much on their plate: homework, relationships, jobs, mental health, and peer pressure. Peer pressure is influencing some teens to resort to vaping. To some, it has become the ‘cool’ and ‘trendy’ thing to do, but research shows that the body says otherwise.

Otherwise known as e-cigarettes, these tobacco products contained in a small JUUL pod are racing up as one of the highest addictions of teenagers. According to 2019 data from the Monitoring the Future survey says, “Nearly 14% of high school seniors vape nicotine daily, and more than 25% said that they had vaped in the last 30 days.”

Nurse Gretchen Griffin said, “I think that this has become an epidemic across the country, and it is specifically impacting teenagers. The FDA has not regulated vaping, so everyone assumes that it is okay to take part in this. It then causes both mental and physical damages, that in the long run, are not worth it. Some students have been using this just as another way to relieve stress, but it ends up bringing more stress upon themselves.”

“I feel that vaping is very dangerous, and it is an addictive drug that kids at our school are using. They are putting themselves at the risk of getting cancer or even dying, and it’s extremely scary seeing the reports of kids dying from vaping. But in this day of age, when you say no to students, they just brush it off of their shoulders without thinking of the effects it might have on them,” said Sophomore Danielle Moore.

This is becoming an unstoppable force that is rapidly increasing, not just at Ozark High School, but across the country; the question is, what will you do about it?

Sources:
McPhillips, D. (2019, September 30). Vaping in America, by the numbers. Https://Www.usnews.com/News/Healthiest-Communities/Articles/2019-09-30/Vaping-in-America-by-the-Numbers.