Stress Swarms Ozark High School

Stress is spreading through high schools. A study found that the national average of stress in students has more than doubled in the past 3 years.

Photo via flickr under the Creative Commons License

Ashlyn Dewitt, Writer

Have you ever had a high heart rate, sweaty palms, and an upset stomach? You were probably experiencing some form of stress or anxiety. Stress and anxiety is something that many people struggle with, especially high school students. 

High school students have a lot on their plates and for many of them, this can be overwhelming. In 2015, the National Institute for Mental Health reported that 30% of girls and 20% of boys – or 6.3 million teenagers – suffered from an anxiety disorder. Balancing school, sports, work, home responsibilities, and extracurricular activities is a major contributor to anxiety in teens today.

“Stress and anxiety sometimes make it hard to be social in high school and keep the motivation to work on homework. It can be very overwhelming and hard to deal with,” said Senior Payeton Loughead. 

Junior Elizabeth Freeman is enrolled in multiple honors classes, participates in Science Olympiad, and is on the girl’s Varsity Golf Team. 

“Some challenges we as students face in high school is time management. Most students play sports, have hard classes and after all that, have a job to go to which doesn’t leave much time to relax. It’s stressful to maintain all those things in an orderly fashion and still do well in school so it leaves us super stressed and full of anxiety,” said Freeman.

Since high school students have experience with stress, many have come up with strategies to manage it. For example, Freeman gets her homework done in class, and Sophomore Greydon Miller listens to music.

Miller said, “Sometimes I feel a lot of pressure to get good grades and keep up with assignments that I don’t have much time to complete. I try not to worry and get stressed out, but when I do, listening to music really helps me calm down.”

Stress is very common in high school students. Everyone struggles with it, but everyone finds a way to overcome it and develop strategies to manage it. There are resources available to all students, such as a school counselor. Students just have to take the first step in tackling stress and overcoming their anxiety.

Sources:

Ossola, A. (2015, October 9). Today’s High Schoolers Are Way Too Stressed. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/10/high-stress-high-school/409735/.

5 Things You Should Know About Stress. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/stress/index.shtml.