Evaluating the Dangers of Sports

Katie Marshall

Carson Kern takes a hard block against his Branson opponent. Kern was out with a concussion earlier in the year.

Trinity Schupp, Writer

In sports, no risk means no reward, but are some risks just too much?

Student-athletes acquire new injuries every season. These injuries range from pulled muscles, to concussions, to broken bones. Even with the chance of serious injury, Ozark’s athletes continue to push through each sports season in hopes of scholarships or just for fun.

“I’m going to continue to participate in sports because they’re very important to me. I love sports, and I think that the feeling of competing is honestly the best feeling in the world. Injuries are a part of the game; as bad as they are you can always come back from them,” said Luke Hulse, sophomore. Hulse was taken out of a varsity football game with a torn ACL.

When participating in sports, 90% of student-athletes record an injury that they gained through their sport*. Some athletes continue to play post-injury, but many don’t. Depending on the aggression of the sport, some injuries can be permanently life-changing, while others are only temporary.

Soccer player Madison Morgan, sophomore, said, “Feeling like you’re not able to help your team or be a part of a victory is the hardest part of being injured. I’m currently out with a back injury due to stress and overuse. This healing process takes so long and I look forward to reaching my end goal of being completely healed”.

While competing, players can experience hard hits to the head or chest, which have proven to occasionally be fatal. The sports that lead in the most deaths for its players are baseball and softball with 3-4 deaths yearly. Even though these are rare cases, the idea of the dangers of sports is not a new concept.

“If athletes get hit while their brain is still healing from a concussion, that is called second impact syndrome. That can be potentially life-threatening. If the brain is damaged again while it’s still trying to heal and they go in for another hit, an already damaged brain receiving a blow like that can be life-threatening and anything could happen from paralysis to your heart stopping right then and there,” said the school’s athletic trainer, Logan Prescott.

Even though it’s been proven that sports can be extremely dangerous, students continue to participate. In many ways, this is a good thing. Sports can allow students to form close relationships, stay physically active, and learn discipline. Being in a sport is also a fun way for students to be involved in their school. If athletes take the time to weigh all of the factors before participating, sports can prove to be extremely rewarding.

Sources:

*Statistics from https://www.weinsteininjurylawyer.com/surprising-statistics-sports-injuries/