Students Across the School Focus on Change for the New Year

With+2020+just+beginning%2C+many+people+have+set+resolution+to+better+themselves+this+year.+

Photo via Pxfuel under the Creative Commons License.

With 2020 just beginning, many people have set resolution to better themselves this year.

Amy Surface, Writer

When the clock strikes midnight and fireworks erupt, communities all across the world clink their glasses together and celebrate the start of a new year. This brings more than just a change in date, as all kinds of people work toward a change in their life. 

Many people make various types of New Year’s Resolutions or goals to better their lifestyle. According to the New York Post, about 55 percent of resolutions are health-related, like diet or exercise. A lot of other common goals revolve around finances, mental health, or travel. 

The new year began just over two weeks ago, and many students at Ozark set their own versions of resolutions. 

“One of my New Year’s Resolutions would be to try harder in school. I don’t think I tried as hard as I should’ve last year. I just need to take that extra step,” said Sophomore Grant Guse. 

While the idea of starting a new year off on the right foot sounds appealing, research shows it’s not that simple. The U.S. News & World Report stated that 80% of those who set New Year’s Resolutions will fail by mid-February. This startling statistic does not give much assurance to those who have hope for change in 2020.

Sophomore Madelyn Sult gave her opinion on why so many people cannot accomplish their goals: “They set too high of goals and don’t stick to it. Consistency is key.” 

Some strategies can be used to increase the chances of accomplishment. Dr. Carly Moores of Flinders University advises to approach the goal slowly, and take it one day at a time. Moores says that it is important to accomplish small things first before moving on to larger objectives. 

“My advice is to just go for it. You just have to work hard and you’ll get where you wanna be,” said Guse. 

While many people make resolutions for themselves, others may choose a word to focus on or set a small goal for the year. Despite the differences, the idea of change for the new year is the same. With determination and motivation, 2020 could be the year that more people follow-through on their resolutions and the drastic statistics can change. 

Sources:

News.com.au. (2018, December 22). New Year’s resolutions last exactly this long. Retrieved from https://nypost.com/2018/12/21/new-years-resolutions-last-exactly-this-long/

Tabaka, M. (2019, January 7). Most People Fail to Achieve Their New Year’s Resolution. For Success, Choose a Word of the Year Instead. Retrieved from https://www.inc.com/marla-tabaka/why-set-yourself-up-for-failure-ditch-new-years-resolution-do-this-instead.html