Tension Rising Between the United States and Iran

Grace James

The issues between Iran and the USA began with the death of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani.

Emma Vaughan, Writer

The new year began with rising tension between Iran and the United States. The conflict heated up on January 3, 2020, when President Donald Trump ordered an airstrike that killed Iran’s top general Qasem Soleimani at an airport in Baghdad, Iraq. Iran responded to Soleimani’s death by firing missiles at two US military bases in Iraq on January 8, 2020. According to President Trump, no Americans were injured or killed. That same day a Ukrainian passenger plane crashed killing all 176 people on board. Iran has since admitted it mistakenly shot down the plane.

The rising tension between the two nations has sparked much of the Internet calling it World War III. Many people are fearing a potential draft with surges for the US draft surging with conflict. One class that has closely been monitoring the conflict has been Mrs. Angela Stewart’s current events class.

“I’m not sure if there will be a World War, but it certainly has all of the elements of one. Iran is allied with Russia and the United States is allied with both Ukraine and Israel. A week ago I would have been much more fearful of a potential war with Iran, but I thought President Trump’s offer of peace was the best thing he could have done to de-escalate the situation. As for student’s reactions to the conflict, I think a lot of it comes from fear because they have never known what it is like to be in a war and having people they know having to go fight,” said Stewart.

A student currently in the Current Affairs class is Senior Layla Hanson. “For now, I don’t think there will be a World War. If the tension continues to increase, then it could be possible. If a war does happen, I don’t think there will be a draft unless the situation gets dire. I also think a potential conflict would affect the economy in some way,” said Hanson.

At the moment, it seems like a war with Iran has been averted. The world will continue to watch as the conflict between the United States and Iran unfolds.

Sources:

Frazee, G. (2020, January 13). A timeline of U.S.-Iran relations. Retrieved January 16, 2020, from https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/a-timeline-of-u-s-iran-relations

Cohen, Z., Alkhshali, H., & Dewan, A. (2020, January 4). US drone strike ordered by Trump kills top Iranian commander in Baghdad. Retrieved January 16, 2020, from https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/02/middleeast/baghdad-airport-rockets/index.html