History in the Making

Kelsey French, Writer

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, the impeachment inquiry against current President Donald Trump began. This sparked an even deeper tension between the political parties.  

As the House of Representatives impeached President Trump for high crimes and misdemeanors, this became the third time in American history that a President has been impeached. The House voted for two articles of impeachment to remove the President from office, those being the abuse of power and obstruction of justice, then shipping the case off to senate for trial.

“There will be a swearing-in of Chief Justice John Roberts and the senate will be acting as a jury. The House brings articles of impeachment, and the Senate holds the trial, where some of the democrats running in 2020 are actually in the senate and will sit in on the trial and act as jury,” said IB Global Politics teacher, Mrs. Sara Floyd on the current state of the impeachment and the advancements being made. Floyd also made a statement regarding political discussions in classrooms and said, “I believe that knowledge equals power, however, knowledge is not enough by itself. Activism needs to be put in place just as much as teenagers need to be educated and informed on these issues.”

High school students should be kept up to date on current political issues, so they can form their own educated responses and opinions. Discussions in class, specifically government, should bring in political controversies so students understand the importance of politics in general, including United States politics.

“If you are not talking about political controversies, you are not educating your students. However, the impeachment process should have been done more thoughtfully and carefully. The way it is currently being handled may not resolve anything,” said Mr. Andrew Thompson, IB Global Politics teacher.

Considering that impeachment is a very rare and a traditional process, it can say that we are watching history in the making. By becoming educated and well informed on political issues and controversies that are happening all around, people can form personal responses to discussions happening in classes. People may even ignite class discussions. Discussing these issues in class can be helpful and enlightening, especially for those who have a hard time understanding politics.

“We watched a video from CNN 10 on the impeachment and discussed the details of the trial being held in the senate and the articles of impeachment. Since the beginning of the impeachment process, we have had constant class discussions regarding the situation. I think that students should be able to talk about politics in schools, that way they can grasp a firm understanding of everything happening around them, especially events that are happening in their own country,” said Junior Katie Branstetter. Branstetter enjoys her government class and the thoroughly detailed discussion that they hold in class.

Branstetter also said, “It would be interesting to be indulged in a full lesson regarding political issues like this, and to be educated on not only the impeachment itself but the process and steps taken.”

There is a time and place for political discussions. That time is now, and high school classrooms are where they should be taking place. Although we should inform our students on events and current issues going on around them, we should make sure to leave out biases and political stances to insure that classrooms remain a safe place for everyone to speak without starting any arguments. Besides, becoming educated in political issues should be important, considering the potential to help spread insightful information and inform others. 

Source:  

Herb, Jeremy, and Manu Raju. “House of Representatives Impeaches President Donald Trump.” CNN, Cable News Network, 19 Dec. 2019, www.cnn.com/2019/12/18/politics/house-impeachment-vote/index.html.