JV Boys Basketball Take Home the Win at Lebanon

Katie Marshall

Sophomore Jace Easley picks up his dribble in preparation to take a shot.

Katie Marshall, Writer

Last week the Junior Varsity Team took on a variety of different teams in their first tournament of the year.

This year’s JV team has multiple players that saw some time on the court last year creating a stronger, well-experienced team. These boys not only have some experience, but also the heart and a genuine love for the game. Sophomore Nash Rodebush said, “I would say my favorite part of the game is just playing basketball with my friends. It’s always fun stepping on the court and winning our first tournament together was a special moment.”

The team traveled to Lebanon on Monday for their first night of the tournament and ended with a win against Hillcrest. “I’d say that the hardest challenge we had to face was the amount of talent in the tournament. The other teams were very strong, but we really played together and ran a great offense,” said Rodebush.

Ozark then returned to Lebanon for the semi-final game against Rolla. The team ended night two with a, 67-57, win and high hopes for the upcoming championship. “My favorite part of any basketball game and especially the tournament last week is the bus rides and just hanging out with the team. I am looking forward to the rest of the year and hopefully, we will have a twenty win season,” said Jace Easley, sophomore.

In the championship game, Ozark defeated the Rockbridge Bruins, 71-54, making them the Lebanon Tournament champions. “Rock Bridge was definitely a tough team mainly because of their size, they had a 6’7” freshman that was tough to guard in the post, but we communicated and rotated positions really well to make some good stops. Overall it was a big success to win this tournament especially coming off a tough loss to take second place in the Nixa tournament. It was pretty awesome to bounce back and win this one,” said sophomore Greydon Miller.

The team came together throughout the tournament to become a force to be reckoned with. “We struggled at times during the tournament but I think we overcame any negatives by working harder and wanting the ball more than our opponents. However, the highlight of the tournament was us winning against Rockbridge to win the championship title. It felt great to come in first and it was a confidence booster for our team,” said Sophomore Alijah Hampton.

This team has been able to face many challenges and come out on top. This tournament has given them more confidence and determination to finish the season off strong.