Athlete Spotlight- Wyatt Snyder

Senior Wyatt Snyder wins his match.

Photo used with permission from Wyatt Snyder

Senior Wyatt Snyder wins his match.

Sasha Samsinak, Writer

This has been a great year for senior wrestler Wyatt Snyder.

He captured his 100th win at the beginning of the season and now he is working hard to prepare for Districts.

“At the beginning of the season at the Fox Tournament, I captured my 100th win. That felt great.  Now, we are preparing for Districts in three weeks, and we should be strong. We are hoping to be Districts champs.”

Snyder has been a wrestler for 11 years and he’s been on the Ozark High School varsity team all four years of high school.  He says wrestling has taught him to be stronger, both mentally and physically.

“I would say that wrestling is 70 percent mental and 30 percent physical.  Coach Sundlie is constantly teaching us to be mentally tough.”

Although he will not be wrestling in college, Snyder says wrestling has taught him lessons that will last a lifetime.

“Wrestling has taught me to be tough. Many times we have to lose weight in order to be tough in our division, but I have learned how to do this in a healthy way.  I have learned to be tough, both mentally and physically. I will carry that with me into my future.”

Snyder says he will miss the camaraderie with his team once the season ends.

“The best part of wrestling is the fun and friendships with other players.  I will definitely miss that next year.”

The team will compete in Districts on February 14-15 at Jefferson City.  Coach Tod Sundlie agrees with Snyder’s assessment of the team going into Districts.

“We are looking forward to Districts, and expect to wrestle our best at that point in the year,” said Coach Sundlie.