Remembering All

Photo via wikimedia under the Creative Commons License.

"I think it's important to honor everyone who died, and not just those who died who had a large impact. Everyone has their own significant impact on people, even if it’s not a large group," said Senior Hannah Lind.

Grace James, Writer

The world felt a tragic loss on January 26, 2020, when Kobe “Mamba” Bryant tragically died in a helicopter crash near Calabasas, California. Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter, Gianna Bryant, along with 7 other passengers, also died in the crash. Although Kobe and Gianna accomplished much in their lives, many fail to acknowledge the other 7 passengers aboard the helicopter. Therefore, this article will be a spotlight for them specifically.

John and Keri Altobelli, along with their daughter Alyssa were aboard the helicopter, and also died in the crash. John was a baseball coach at Orange Coast College in California. John coached his team into over 700 wins for 27 years. John was described to be a strong leader and truly cared for his players. He helped find scholarships and fundraise for the boys on his team, and was dedicated to helping them succeed.

Alyssa, 13, attended Ensign Intermediate School for two years, where she played basketball. Alyssa also attended Mamba Sports Academy, where she played basketball alongside Gianna Bryant. Alyssa was described as a great basketball player and a girl who always had a smile on her face.

Christina Mauser, coach for the girl’s team at Mamba Sports Academy, tragically passed on in the crash as well. Mauser had three daughters, and she was described as witty, but also an incredible mind for basketball. She put her heart and soul into the sport and coaching girls into successes.

Pilot Ara Zobayan did not survive the crash either. Zobayan was depicted as a dedicated and caring instructor by his students. Along with these characteristics, Zobayan was also a veteran pilot who was skilled in many different areas of piloting. He was not known for flying in unsafe conditions, and the path was familiar to him.

Unfortunately, another family died in the helicopter crash: mother Sarah Chester, and daughter Payton Chester. Payton was said to have a huge heart for basketball and always lit up on the court. Payton was described as the glue of her family and loved all of her teammates and coaches. Payton made a huge impact on those around her.

Each passenger who died made a huge impact on those around them. While Bryant’s legacy may have made more of an impact on the globe, each individual should be remembered and mourned.