FACS Department Overview

Katie Marshall

Juniors Kyah Schumaker and Katie Branstetter work on their pencil pouches in Design Fundamentals.

Allison Yates, Writer

There are many different departments at Ozark High School. The FACS (Family and Consumer Sciences) Department may be one that some students might not think of off the top of their heads.
The FACS department is comprised of 3 different teachers: Mrs. Marty Baumann, Mrs. Teresa Picard, and Mrs. Lexy McNew.
“The FACS department is all about learning those practical skills that are useful for home and work,” said Department Head, Baumann. Foods I and II, ProStart I and II, Parenting, Child Development I and II, Design Fundamentals, Fashion and Interior Design, and Relationships are all FACS classes that students are eligible to take.
“FACS gives students a chance to have fun while learning what skills can be useful for them later in life. Most students don’t think that they need skills such as sewing as much as they do. While nowadays you can look things up, it’s great to take a class where you can learn all of the essential home and work skills all at once,” said McNew.
Students are encouraged to take FACS classes to learn about topics and skills that will help them be successful in life.
FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America) is a club derived from FACS classes and skills. FCCLA gives students a chance to strengthen skills and make a positive difference in today’s world through community service. Members of FCCLA learn and develop skills for life. These skills are character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and career preparation.
“Most students want to make a difference in the world, they just don’t know how to go about it. FCCLA is a great chance for them to get involved in the community, and make a difference, even though it might seem like a small action,” Baumann said, “little things go a long way.”