Wuhan Coronavirus Spreads Concern Worldwide

Grace James

Many students are worried about the spread of the corona virus. Anyone still worried should Google how many people the flu has killed this year alone," said Bohlmann.

Emma Vaughan, Writer

One of the most talked-about subjects in the media at this moment is the coronavirus. The virus started at a seafood market in Wuhan, China, but has since spread to nearly every continent, including the United States.

As of Monday, February 24, 2020, there have been a total number of 77,658 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and 2,663 deaths. The people who are more likely to have severe systems are children and the elderly because they have weaker immune systems.

One of the students at Ozark High School that has been closely monitoring the coronavirus is Senior Evelyn Bohlmann.

“Right now, I’m not worried about an outbreak here in Missouri. If an outbreak were to happen, I think it would only be a few cases, and they would be dealt with pretty quickly. We don’t have a very dense population, especially compared to China, which is a huge catalyst for outbreaks and epidemics. The vast majority of cases are contained within mainland China, relatively few cases have resulted in death, and less than 1% of deaths attributed to the virus have occurred outside of mainland China,” said Bohlmann.

Another student that has been watching the effects of the coronavirus is Senior Sierra Mereness.
“I’m not worried about an outbreak here in Missouri since in most cases, the virus is not life-threatening. I think the worldwide outbreak of the coronavirus will give the world more preparation and knowledge of how to handle new viruses,” said Mereness.

So far, the spread of the coronavirus does not seem to be slowing down. There is currently no antiviral treatment for the virus, and cases are on the rise in countries outside of China. Until there is an effective treatment, the virus will continue to spread across the world, increasing the risk of coming in contact with someone that has the virus.

Sources:

Hawkins, Derek, et al. “Live Updates: China Backtracks on Plan to Ease Wuhan Coronavirus Restrictions; Xi Warns of Crisis.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 2020, www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/24/58bdab58-56ad-11ea-ab68-101ecfec2532_story.html.

“Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Globally.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 24 Feb. 2020, www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/locations-confirmed-cases.html.

“2019-NCoV Frequently Asked Questions and Answers.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 15 Feb. 2020, www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html.