The U.S. Military Finds “Space” for Five New Ozark Members

Jodi Samsinak

Seniors Katlyn Brotherton, Warez Arefin, Patrick Shaw, Wyatt Pelate, and Sarah Divine are sworn-in by Army Colonel Andrew Morgan.

Trinity Schupp, Writer

On February 26, 2020, at 11:50 am, five of Ozark’s senior ROTC members made history with an out-of-this-world future-soldier swearing-in ceremony.

Seniors Katlyn Brotherton, Warez Arefin, Patrick Shaw, Wyatt Pelate, and Sarah Divine committed themselves to a future in the military by being sworn in by Army Colonel Andrew Morgan as he floated above the rest of the world in the International Space Station (ISS). This experience made history as the first time service members were sworn-in from space. This event was broadcasted across the country for millions of people to witness.

“This was probably one of the greatest experiences of my life. Especially because of the fact that he [Colonel Morgan] was as far away as he was, this was a big deal to me. Joining the army is something that I’ve planned on doing since I was a little kid. It’s been my plan since I was five, so this meant a lot,” said Pelate.

Even though these students were not present at NASA’s Johnson Space Center, Ozark was one of approximately twenty schools that participated in this event from across the States. Members were sworn into all branches of the military, including the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. These commitments are life-changing for every one of the families involved.

“It’s definitely life-changing. I plan on going into the army, and I will be active duty. The army has a lot of benefits for me. I’ve been inspired by past family members to join the army, such as my dad. My instructor Chief Allen also really influenced me to join,” said Brotherton.

Whether the decision to enlist branched from family, friends, or teachers, it is sure to be an experience that will inspire generations to come. Never before and possibly never again will the world have an event such as this.