Allison Yates Cheers Her Way Through Senior Year

Yates leads the student section in cheers at the football game against Branson.

Kaylie Klein

Skylar Hembree, Writer

Representing the school, being at all of the events, performing as a good image, and having school spirit. This is Senior Allison Yates’ definition of a cheerleader.

Cheer is different from other sports, as they participate in two seasons. Yates cheers for football in the fall and basketball in the winter. “I really enjoy cheering because you get to grow closer throughout the whole year, which is different from most sports that are only together for a couple of months,” said Yates.

Being the only senior on a team can sometimes be a challenge. In Yates’ opinion, it’s actually really fun. “Sometimes it can be intimidating to be the only senior. Most of the time though it doesn’t matter because we all are like a big family,” said Yates.

Even though Yates was a competitive gymnast before she was a cheerleader, she prefers the latter because you get to be a part of a team. “It’s nice to be a part of something where you know that you have other people there to help you,” said Yates.

When it comes to team goals, this year Ozark is planning on going to state, regionals, and nationals. Nationals is at Disney World in Orlando, Florida. “Getting to go to Nationals is very important and doing good there is a very big goal,” said Yates.

As for personal priorities, Yates has some other ideas in mind. She plans on going to OTC for two years, following with a transfer to MSU to become a Physician Assistant. “Being a physician assistant is one of my main goals in life,” said Yates.

Yates has met so many amazing people over the years through cheering. Even though she does not plan on cheering in college, she will never forget all of the lifelong friendships she has made.