Mr. Jake Williams Explores New Artistic Mediums

Used with permission by Mr. Jake Williams

Mr. Williams sketches the Altare della Patria in Rome, Italy.

Ashlyn Dewitt, Writer

Ozark High School art teacher, Mr. Jake Williams ventured outside of his comfort zone of drawing and painting and recently explored a different form of art.

Williams set aside the paintbrush and picked up a pen to write a book. Although he stays busy with teaching and coaching, one of Williams’ biggest hobbies is traveling, which is a big part of his book.

“I came to a point in my life where I was feeling really stuck. For me, a way to become unstuck was to physically move, and traveling was a way to do that. I just had this feeling that I need to get out and I need to do something,” said Williams. 

Williams’ book is expected to be complete by May of 2021. Behind the cover, Williams discusses the idea of perfectionism and his struggles with feeling the need to be flawless. His book will also touch on venturing outside of the comfort zone and making the most out of opportunities. Williams himself feels that he’s done this through his art, which will also be featured in the book. 

With no writing experience and no clue where to start, Williams faced a few obstacles. According to Williams, the traveling itself is one of the biggest struggles he’s had to overcome during his journey. 

“In the summer of 2019, I did a 47-day solo backpacking trip around America and Europe. I figured if I wanted to write a cool story I would have to actually do something significant,” said Williams. 

Along with the travel, self-doubt was a struggle for Williams. Having never been a reader or writer, his dream to write a book seemed nearly impossible. 

“I feel that everyone is constantly learning new things about themselves, whether you’re a teenager or young adult. I mean no matter how confident you are, we’re all still critical of ourselves and feel that we aren’t good enough to do the things we want to do,” said Williams.

Having to overcome these challenges makes the reward in the end that much more for Williams. His biggest goal for the book is that the people who know him will like it. Whether that’s students, coworkers, friends, or family, Williams hopes that they will read his book and find inspiration through his words. 

For more information, visit https://jaketrustin.com/