Mackenzie Richardson Thrives in the International Baccalaureate Program

Photo used with permission by Mackenzie Richardson.

Mackenzie Richardson diligently works on her end of semester project in hopes of achieving the grade she deserves.

Kenzie Denney, Writer

Participating in the International Baccalaureate program might seem intimidating or even impossible for some students, but for Senior Mackenzie Richardson, her experience has been anything but that.

“During my sophomore year, I felt that I wasn’t challenged enough. I wanted to do something that challenged me mentally and changed me into a more well-rounded person, and IB did just that,” said Richardson.

The IB Diploma program is a global non-profit organization that offers students equal educational opportunities to grow their social, emotional, and conceptual skills. Richardson believes that this program truly lives up to its standard.

“IB has made me more aware of the world around me. When I was a sophomore, all I knew was Ozark. Now, after taking all of these different classes, I know more about the world. It’s helped build me to be open-minded and take everything into consideration when researching topics,” said Richardson.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the program has differed greatly from
previous years.

“At the end of the year, we’re supposed to take these big tests that assess what we’ve learned throughout the year. Last year, we didn’t get to take the test because of COVID. The IB program has modified how they’re grading assignments this year. For example, some of our assignments are worth more points and count for a higher percentage of our overall grade,” said Richardson.

Throughout her journey in IB, Richardson has formed many memorable friendships with people she never expected. She credits the program for her newfound relationships.

“My favorite thing about IB is probably all of the close relationships you have with your peers and teachers. The classes are very small, most of mine have only nine people. We do everything together,” said Richardson.

Although Richardson feels IB has taught her many valuable life lessons that are crucial for her future, she understands that every student might not be college-bound.

“Even if you’re not interested in going to college, I still think that IB is a great option because it helps prepare you for the real world. You learn about so many new and interesting topics that will actually help you in the future,” said Richardson.

Whether you’re looking to pursue a career that requires going to a university or looking to grow as a person, IB is the program that will help you succeed. For more information concerning the organization, contact Mrs. Sara Floyd.