Ending in the End Zone

Highley+gets+snapped+the+ball+during+the+JV+game+against+Rolla.+

Skylar Hembree

Highley gets snapped the ball during the JV game against Rolla.

Alexis Goss, Writer

While kicking the turf up for the last time this year the Junior Varsity Football team ends their 2020-21 season with a record of 4-4-1.

Sophomore Mason Highley gives us the play by play of how the season went. 

During the season Highley played the positions of quarterback and defensive back. Despite whether they won or not each player had an individual goal during the season.

Highley says, “The main goal I had this year was to get more playing time no matter where I was playing.” Highley then describes that he met his goal and that he was satisfied with the amount of playing time he received. 

Due to Covid, athletes were quarantined left and right, it sometimes became a struggle but gave more players the chance to showcase their ability on the field. When the former, JV starting quarterback was quarantined, Highley was next up to play that position on the field. “I was so nervous but ended up performing very well for myself,” said Highley. 

The team also managed to make Ozark history on the playing field this year. The team played Joplin in the third game of the season beating them for the first time in Ozark JV Football history, with a score of 13-0. 

While playing football you put yourself through a lot of physical challenges, it not only helps you with strength and conditioning but helps you mentally as well.

“Football has overall changed my outside world perspective by giving me a sense of discipline. It also gave me the knowledge that you have to work for what you want, just like you have to work to earn your spot on the team,” said Highley. 

The team consisted of many athletes of all different sizes. This resulted in a team of unique individuals with a wide range of skills. When those skills were applied to different aspects of the game, the team grew stronger and evolved to be more driven as a whole. 

Through focus, hard work, and conditioning, the team had an overall successful season. It was a year of learning and experience that will stick with the players throughout the rest of their high school athletic careers. This gives these athletes the opportunity to better themselves and their team for future years.