Ozark FFA Rounding up Their First Semester

Faith Grigg

Senior Abbey Hammons and Senior Chloi Garrison drive the kids around at Ozark FFA’s Safety Day.

Kyah Schumaker, Writer

This year the Ozark FFA Chapter has been nothing short of interesting. The officer team has been working non-stop to keep their chapter running smoothly.

FFA is a student-led organization, and it is the officer team’s responsibility to make their chapter excel with the help of their advisors. Their president this year is Senior Keetan Stutsman, but like many other senior officers, he is graduating early. That leaves the President of the chapter to Senior Bryant Callaway this coming semester.

“My plan as President is to do what we always have done, and this is to get as many people involved in FFA as we can and to educate the kids on agriculture and all of the opportunities it gives them,” said Callaway.

The FFA organization also offers competitive judging teams, including judging horses, cattle, forestry, and even speaking contests. The organization strives to teach leadership and problem-solving skills for life.

Calloway plans on competing in forestry and his goal is to hopefully make it to State. Senior Hattie Depee, who is the Chapter’s Vice President and also the Area Office Reporter, is graduating early but she plans on coaching the livestock team which she previously competed on.

“It’s so important that we keep the younger kids involved this year so we can keep our chapter going,” said Depee. That includes getting them involved in the judging teams, so our Chapter can take them to state competitions.

Although Ozark is the biggest FFA Chapter in Missouri, the team’s goals for this year are to keep the chapter growing and educate as many kids as they can.

“People need to know that FFA doesn’t mean you’re a farmer. I have gained so many friendships and made great memories in FFA and I live in the middle of Ozark,” said Senior Chloi Garrison, “We want to keep the chapter as close as it has been in previous years. Even with Covid, Ozark FFA has been given so many great opportunities to work with organizations and take trips according to our judging team and I hope that we can keep that going.”

FFA is an amazing organization built to teach kids important life lessons but also to make strong friendships along the way.