Pottery III is Firing Back up into Second Semester

Skylar Hembree

Junior Christian Danels works on a bowl for his Pottery III class.

Skylar Hembree, Writer

Molding and shaping things into perfection takes a lot of work and dedication. This year’s Pottery III students know the struggles and strengths of working with your hands to create masterpieces.

“Students in this class get to learn to use their hands to create useful and meaningful objects,” said art teacher, Anissa Barber. “The personal interaction between the kids is another reason I like to teach this class”.

Students in pottery classes bond by doing everything together from cleaning, to sharing a wheel, to unloading hot kilns. They learn to work with students from other grade levels and different pottery experiences.

Senior Emily McCulloch was the only student to take Pottery III last semester. She found a passion for pottery through the same avenue as many others. “I had enjoyed hand-building clay during my art classes growing up so I thought pottery would be fun since they have the same aspect,” said McCulloch. 

In Pottery III, students have to make a full dinnerware set with many pieces that takes up an entire semester to finish. They choose the style, size, and shape of plates, bowls, and cups they make. 

Each person got inspiration on how they wanted their finished dinnerware set to look from something different. Some might have looked at the artists from a particular time period for a specific style. McCulloch even got creative by looking through pinterest for ideas. One student in particular got inspiration from a specific artist, his teacher. 

“Mrs. Barber gives me a lot of inspiration because every year she comes in, starts throwing and ends up making a great masterpiece,” said Junior Christian Danels.

Pottery is a class that many students recommend taking. Due to the similar connections you make with others while working with your hands in the “chill environment” as Danels puts it.