Ozark Allows its Students to Learn Virtually

Trinity Schupp

Mr. Albert Bryant streams his Analysis class virtually to create online availability to missing and quarantined students.

Trinity Schupp, Writer

Learning is not reliant on IQ but on the work ethic of students and the availability of resources, whether online or in-person. 

In Ozark, online classes have always been available for students in grades 11-12 or under special circumstances for 10th graders. This year, though, these classes have become more popular with more options available to students due to COVID-19. All classes are not only an option for students online, but teachers now have to make all curriculum available during snow days or for quarantined students. These classes have pushed students and teachers to be responsible. 

“I think the new online offerings have been good for some students in that they allow them some flexibility in their schedule, especially when they attend OTC classes. The online courses challenge students’ ability to manage their time wisely, establish priorities, and advocate for themselves. They are definitely not for everyone, but they are beneficial,” said Principal Jeremy Brownfield. 

Not only has this affected quarantined or absent students, but the ready availability has also helped students who simply want to be allowed varying opportunities outside of school. These opportunities include things like work and pace at which students learn. By being able to do classes at any time, students can work and prepare for the future or things that they want to do now.

“I chose to take online classes so I have a more open schedule that I can work with and have more time to work and make money. It’s a major benefit for me to be able to work at my own pace,” said Junior Wil Adams.

This flexibility is a good outlet for students who vary within their abilities depending on each class. Some classes may be easier to complete whereas others take more work, changing students’ speed of completion. This concept is applicable for most online schooling, not just for students who have scheduled the classes in. Snow days are the only time that students must work based on an actual schedule while online. 

“For me, the best thing about online learning is that I have more available time to work on the classes that I really need to work on. I am able to get done with my easier classes and then work on the classes that I need to improve on,” said Junior Remi Watson.

Many changes have been made this year, but online schooling has been one of the most influential ones. Adjustments had to be made after last spring, but these adjustments have created a stronger system-of-learning for students throughout the school district.