Yearbook Editors Make Their Mark On and Off the Page

Kinley Scott, Writer

Yearbooks act as a time machine into the past for future generations. A moment, frozen in time, to reminisce upon for years to come. At Ozark High School, three seniors have an opportunity to be editors for the yearbook and journalism program. Amy Surface, Jessica Marshall, and Trinity Schupp work together to craft Ozark’s yearbook and mentor underclassmen in the program.

Amy Surface has been a part of the journalism program since she was in seventh grade. She started writing newspaper articles when she was in eighth grade and has continued in the path of journalism throughout her high school career. 

She has worked diligently to obtain her present position and is now prepared to use her abilities to better the journalism program. Surface strives to move away from surface-level articles and encourages students to dive deeper into investigative journalism. She plans on doing this by getting to know each student’s personal interests and finding topics that will not only interest them but also the readers of the article.

Outside of school, Surface participates in the media program, Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), and is involved in her church. After completing high school, Surface plans to attend Southwestern Assemblies of God University. She would like to pursue a career in journalism or a ministry position that allows her to continue exploring her creativity through writing.

Jessica Marshall has participated in journalism for six years. Growing up, she was always around football games, so she is especially interested in covering the varsity football page of the yearbook. Marshall said, “I have always enjoyed going to the games, taking photos, and being able to portray the excitement and emotions through the page”. 

This year, Marshall plans to incorporate new editing styles to catch the attention of readers as soon as they open the yearbook. She is ready to add a new spin to the traditional look of the yearbook by adding her own flair and capturing the action of the moment.

Marshall says her favorite part about being an editor is being able to design a new and fresh yearbook that students will look forward to. She also enjoys being able to work with her fellow editor, Trinity Schupp.

This is Schupp’s sixth year in the journalism program. She says this year she would like to focus less on the town of Ozark, and more on the student body at Ozark High School. This is a great way to highlight all of the different programs to engage students at OHS. 

Schupp plays on the girls varsity soccer team and participates in many clubs such as National Honors Society, Future Teachers of America, Youth Empowerment Project of the Ozarks, and Key Club.

Schupp plans to attend MSU after high school to become a pediatric nurse practitioner. She then intends to continue furthering her education to become a pediatric doctor. 

These amazing editors strive not only to create a yearbook, but to encourage and guide students along the way. Schupp’s advice to younger students is a great example of the editors’ aims. She said, “Even though there are going to be times when high school seems difficult, keep going. Keep working hard, keep being kind, keep doing what you love”.